This is a very famous Chinese Dessert served with Ice cream. My parents and i love it. Every time, we went out for chinese dinner, we had to eat this and honey noodles with ice cream.
Thanks to my mom. She is a very good cook. Having watched her all these years, i seem to have picked up some stuff.
I believe, the batter for the date pan cakes has eggs. And now that i am married, and both my and husband do not eat eggs, i experimented with eggless date pan cakes. Must say they turned out quite good, sure i can still improve the next time.
So here it goes, a mouth watering dessert. And this is quite a healthy version of any desset. Dates are good for health, they also supply quick energy to the body. Plus there is very little sugar that goes in this dessert.
For the dough
1. 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
2. 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
3. Milk to make a dough
A pinch of salt
For the stuffing
4. 1/4 cup water
5 2-3 spoons sugar
6 15-20 dates
7. 1/4 cup honey.
For the pan cake dough
1. Mix the whole wheat and all purpose flour to make a dough with milk. Keep aside for 15 -20 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, while making the dough
For the Stuffing
1. In a bowl, smash and mix the dates (after deseeding them) ith your hand. If you think the date are very hard, you can soak them in water for half hour before smashing them. If you do soak them in water, then don't throw away the water. You may drink the water as its very nutritious.
2. Add honey and mix well.
3. In a pan bring water to boil. Add the sugar. When sugar has desolved, add the honey and dates mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes. Take off from gas and let it cool.
Bringing the 2 together
1. Roll out the dough, like you would do for a chapatti, into a round shape
2. Take the honey and dates mixture and spread it on the rolled out dough
3 Join the 2 ends of the circle to make a semi- circle
4. Apply some butter on both sides of the pan cake. Repeat this process with all the dough
5. Pre heat oven to 400 F and put the pan cakes in it to bake for 30-35 minutes. When done, you will see that both the sides of the pancakes are golden in color. If needed, toss the sides of the pancake after 10-12 minutes. Keep a watch and be careful, while doing this.
6. Let them cool a bit and cut them into smaller pieces and you desire. Top it with chopped dryfruits and vanilla ice cream and serve.
Ps: my husband topped it with chocolate syrup and enjoyed it. You could surely add your own flavour to enjoy.