My Mom makes this. Its basically her own creative experiments. Its quite simple, yet different and tasty.
1. Idli batter for making idli
For the masala:
1. 2 cups curd
2. 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
3. 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4. 1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
5. 1/4 teaspoon hing
6 1 1/2 teaspoon urid dal
7 Curry leaves 4-5
8 Chopped corriander leaves
9 2 spoon ghee
10 3-4 red chillies or stuffed chillies used in making curd rice
1. Put idli batter in the idli pan and put it on medium flame to steam in cooker. This slould take about 12- 15 mintures. Once Idli is ready, turn off the gas and leave the idli is the cooker to cool.
2. While steaming the idli, put the curd in a bowl and beat it. The objective is to make a homogeneous mixture. Ensure that its still thick.
3. Add the chopped and crushed ginger paste along with the salt to the curd and keep aside.
4. When the idli has cooled, remove from idli pan and transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Pour the curd over the idli is the serving bowl.
6. Now in a pan, add 2 spoons ghee add all the masala. Let the mustard seeds splutter and urid dal turn red. Transfer this masala over the curd soaked idlis. Wait for 10- 15 minutes, till the idlis soak all the masala and dahi. Serve with green chutney or tomato chutney.